Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I still can't believe this actually happened

it's sub zero. whipping winds...
i'm decked out in full arctic regalia.
furry hat, with the ear flaps down.
face mask that makes me look like i'm about to make a bank heist.
layers and layers of clothing.

after hours of walking, i'm almost done.
an old guy ( in his 70's at least) is waiting by his box for me.
this in itself is odd because NOBODY is out on the street in subzero.
to get his mail i have to reach over into the back of the truck.
here comes the really weird part.
he says: " Nice rear end! You can park it on my porch any time!"
WHAT???
I know that the heat makes me see things that aren't there.
does the cold make me hear things that weren't said?

I hesitated. Then I said "Thanks"...and drove off.
repeating to myself over and over "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

To be honest, i was more humored than offended.
back in my early mailgal days i used to get plenty pissed if guys catcalled me while slinging the mail.
then a number of years go by and you're really more "mailma'am" than "mail girl".
the catcalls no longer happen, and you start thinking..."What's up with that..am i over the hill?"

so now it's up to the over seventy set to pick up the slack for all the twenty- somethings that see us older gals as a mother figure, if they see us at all.

but don't worry.
i won't be parking it on that guy's porch anytime soon.

No comments: