Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mrs. H

I met her over 15 years ago while covering a postal buddy's route while he was on vacation.
Mrs. H was probably in her 90's and living quite happily alone . I think she had some family in town that would check on her, as did my postal buddy.
When I came to her house , I would make a lot of noise while putting her mail in the box to get her attention. I just wanted to make sure she was up and around.

I remember talking to her a few times. She said one thing to me that I will never forget.
Like probably everyone else that encountered her, I was curious to know her secret for keeping so vibrantly healthy after all these years.
This was her advice:" Stay away from fruits and vegetables!!! Just eat the stuff that you really enjoy"! I was awestruck! Her advice stands as one of the most wonderful things I have ever heard come out of anyone's mouth.
From time to time, as I consume some completely decadent delight, I hear her words bouncing around my brain and feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever. Thanks for that small gift Mrs. H...wherever you are.

No comments: