Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm dreaming of a white carpet

every christmas i think back to all of the kind customers that have invited me in for a minute or two to warm up and have some holiday chit-chat.
i particularly remember Mr. and Mrs.G ordering me in to sing a few christmas carols around their gorgeous grand piano in their gorgeous living room in their gorgeous house.
they were well into their 80's at the time..maybe even 90's...how could i resist such a lovely invitation from such a lovely couple?
"don't bother to take your boots off honey..just come on in!"
"are you sure Mrs. G?" I asked, surveying her white wall to wall carpet.
"yes, i'm sure! come on over to the piano."
so i did.
i stood there as she sat down and played Angels We Have Heard On High followed by a beautiful rendition of Silent Night.
"this is the stuff holiday memories are made of", i thought to myself.
then i looked down.
beneath my feet was not just a large puddle..but a black large puddle.
should i say something?
after all, she said it was OK to keep my boots on.
i made a gracious, but quick exit..grateful for their hospitality and their apparently failing eyesight!

No comments: