Thursday, June 5, 2008

food drive faux pas

nothing is worse than picking up food for the food drive
and having to look at it all day when you are really hungry.
all the sudden, that 5 year old can of pinto beans with the dents in it
makes your mouth water. it is a battle just to keep yourself from ripping open the box of Corn Flakes and grabbing a few hand fulls.

okay, there is something worse.
what's worse is picking up food all day while hungry and then being the one that delivers the food after work to the food cupboard when you are now way beyond hungry. you're wondering what Ramon noodles would taste like dry. that kind of hungry.

you're never supposed to go grocery shopping when you're hungry.
likewise you should never deliver food to a food pantry while hungry.
with that in mind, i made a trip to the vending machine inside the P.O. and bought a bag of Twizzlers and a bag of animal crackers to eat before making the trek.
after wolfing them down, i stuffed the empty bags in my pocket.

when i hopped out at the pantry i was greeted by a host of elderly volunteers, ready to help unload the tubs of food. i opened up the back of the truck, then threw my vehicle keys in my pocket. that's when it happened. the crinkling sound heard round the world.
as my keys hit the empty wrappers in my pocket, i felt as if all of those volunteers were thinking that i ate some of their food and had jammed the evidence into my pocket.
of course none of them were actually thinking that..
or were they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say I never desired to eat any of the food I picked up..but then again, my lunch box has enough snacks to feed a third world country.

Brooke said...

I picked up some Double Stuffed Oreos....how hard do you think that was not to tear into??? :))