Monday, May 7, 2007

Thoughts from the Route

It's a blue collar job. Not very sexy. No status. But there's something about it..something old school...something retro..nostalgic... something timeless. I've been at it for 20 years now and while there are days that are decidedly not fun, I mostly love it. I love the way some customers greet you like you're their long lost relative even though you saw them the day before. I love the high maintenance mail obsessed ones that seem like their day is made or broken by what you put in their mailbox. I love the nasty ones that give you practice in learning to keep your cool under fire. I love that even though they piss me off I never call them an a-hole until I'm at least 30o ft. away. As much as I may have wanted to, I'm proud to say I have never maced a customer.
So this will be my compost pile. A place to put my stories and the stories of other mail carriers. We'll see what it all comes to be.
I started a new route last week , so I will be coming to know a completely new cast of characters. Change is good. It feels like an adventure.

No comments: