Thursday, May 17, 2007

Wicked funny

A conversation I had with one of my customers yesterday keeps replaying in my head.
It was only the second time we'd ever spoken.
The first time we talked, he warned me about a huge upcoming neighbhood garage sale that might cause me some problems with parking. I thanked him for the heads up and that was pretty much the whole encounter.
When I saw him yesterday he asked me how I survived the garage sale. Then, before I knew it he was giving me a fascinating history of the neighborhood.
It was built in the 1920's for Kodak employees. The builders came over from Germany and were exquisite craftsman. The homes are picture perfect..well manicured tudors. Each house is unique. It is a beautiful area and with one notable exception the people are unusually friendly. The whole place feels charmed.
"Do you know that in all of my 30 years living here it has NEVER rained on one of our garage sales , parades or picnics ?"
"Wow ..that's amazing !"
"Do you want to know our secret?"
Of course I did.
"You can't tell anyone" he said moving closer and lowering his voice.
Of course I wouldn't.
"The night before each one of our events, we sacrifice one child from the street. One unattractive, not very bright child". " With the parents permission of course".
Of course.
"And" he said "there's a waiting list".
Yup. I think I'm gonna like this route.

No comments: