Sunday, September 16, 2007

one of the main reasons i took this job

it's all about the uni!
not that the uniform actually looks good or anything. far from it.
there is something about wearing high waisted polyester pants with a nice fat stripe running up the side that makes you feel like you're stuck in a recurring high school marching band nightmare.
and the pith helmet always elicits the "going on safari?" line from our hysterical customers. they're SO clever those customers!
looks aside, it is the uniform that initially drew me to the job.
i think this is probably due to the traumatising experience of having to call in sick one day at my first professional job out of college because i had nothing to wear. getting dressed is a major league pain in the ass if you're a woman.
too many choices.
too much ironing.
too much time.
too much thought.
too much energy.
so every day, after years of putting on the same ugly old uniform, i still think of that sick call back in 1982..and say thank god for this ugly old uniform.
real simple. real, real simple.
that's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) i like it.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Did I tell you how happy I was to find your blog?

You just got yourself a bonafide stalker.

I love my uniform. I will only, however, wear the non-tuck, pockets in the front shirt!