Monday, November 12, 2007

i hate to be the one to break it to you buddy, but life ain't fair

It was a heavy mail day.
I had catalogs up the wazoo.
I was beat.
The sun was going down.
I just wanted to get home.
I was on the very last street on my route.

Looking around the bend, four houses up, I could just about make out the shadowy figure of a guy waiting next to his mailbox.
Even though I couldn't see him clearly, I knew by his posture, that he wasn't just waiting to get his mail.
He had a bone to pick.
After 20 years of playing this game, I was pretty sure he was going to ask me why I was "late".
Well, I was half right.
He definitely had a bone to pick..but it wasn't just that I was LATE,
but rather he was upset because he always gets his mail last everyday.
I did my best to explain that the route is laid out a certain way for reasons of efficiency, and to make him FIRST as he suggested, would mean reprogramming complex computer data bases, retraining clerks, changing our cases around..blah,blah, blah..
"When I want to change the order of things in my computer I JUST HIT REVERSE!", he explained to me.

I felt like just hitting reverse myself and driving away from the whole conversation.
I sat there , not knowing what to tell the guy.
"Get a life"..(or failing that, get a P.O. box) was the first thing that came to mind.
"What can I tell you? I hear what you're saying ..but the P.O. is a monolith. We don't do change well. The best you can hope for is that the next time they adjust the routes, your street comes out in an earlier position. Until then, all I can say is , if you want your mail around 10:00am, you're going to have to move to Fairview Dr., because they are on the beginning of my route. Unfortunately, there's nothing for sale on that street right now. ..but if something comes up, I'll give you a holler!".

1 comment:

Brooke said...

We get this all the time from people or businesses that are on the left side while we are delivering on the right side. We don't get their side for another couple of hours!!!! Is is hateful to tell them to get a p.o. box??? HAHAHA!