Saturday, October 13, 2007

dehydration vs. cancer


the weather up until this week has been freakishly warm around here.
of course with temps into the high 80's it has been of utmost importance to stay properly hydrated.
a while back i was on my way to the drinking fountain to fill up a few of my water bottles before i hit the street. they were water bottles i had bought designer water in a few days before and i was going to reuse them.
"don't do it." said one of my postal buddies.
"don't do what?" i asked.
"don't refill bottles like that..you can get cancer from reusing that kind of bottle."
recently i had a similar discussion with another friend at work. he went online, did some research and found that the whole plastic bottle/cancer thing was a myth.
on the other hand, cheryl crowe insists that it was one of the reasons she developed breast cancer.
what to do?
"just go to the store and buy yourself a real water bottle that is meant to be reused" my buddy told me.
so i went to the store and bought this pretty pink, overpriced bottle but felt good about it because it would help me avoid getting cancer AND proceeds from the sale of it would benefit breast cancer.
Ahhhh...a perfect solution.
problem solved.
so i brought the bottle to work and proudly showed my pal.
" i don't know" he said, "that looks kind of flimsy to me. you need the HARD plastic kind that won't get creases in it..that's what releases the bad toxic junk into your drinking water".
problem not solved.
so now it's 80 degrees and i head out to the street with my brand new empty water bottle to deliver mail in the grinding heat..
dehydration vs. potential cancer.
life is so complicated sometimes.

No comments: